Thursday, March 28, 2013
Success Out of Failure
There are times when things simply do not go as expected. A week ago I drafted a blog post called Pull the Plug. It was to be uploaded on Friday. When Friday rolled around, I couldn’t bring myself to post it.
The draft was a lengthy rambling about the 20 mile long run I had planned for the weekend and how things just haven’t gone well leading up to this pinnacle of marathon training. I’ll save you the self pity, but I basically surrendered before running a single mile and scrapped the whole idea of running The Hogeye Marathon on April 14th.
I read once that the best way to be right is to predict your own failure. Well, I spent ample time predicting failure that afternoon.
The circumstances had not changed by Friday, but I decided no to post it because I felt I had to try. If I feel short, my prediction was correct. Yet, I thought it was likely that I’d get to 15 miles without much trouble and have a decision to make.
When I woke Saturday morning to the threat of rain and radar clearly showing I’d be wet within the hour, I almost went back to bed. Yet, for some reason I just kept telling myself to get out there and go. Quitting was always an option as I was already mentally prepared for that result.
I ran without fear and chose a route that would take me no less than 4 miles away. If it rained, I’d just have to deal with it. The lighting and light rain started around mile 10. Ultimately, I arrived home after running 16+ miles feeling pretty strong. I decided to bang out the last 4 on the treadmill and did so comfortably.
Where did that come from?
Something just clicked. I’m still woefully undertrained for the marathon, but I really have no excuse not to lace ‘em up, pick a realistic race strategy and put #10 in the record books.
A common problem happened during this training season. I did not officially enter the intended race and thus had nothing at stake if I failed to get prepared. It was a combination of lack of commitment and life scheduling that got in the way. I also convinced myself that I’d wait to see what the weather looked like for race day. I’ve run too many “unseasonably warm” marathons to do another if I had options.
Realistically, I am relatively sure I will run it under any circumstances. The alternate race options are either expensive (travel) or in locales that are just as likely to have poor weather. I guess I’d better get started on booking a hotel in Fayetteville.
This episode was a great reminder to never count yourself out. There is always a chance you are better prepared than you think.
Run in Peace, Rest in Grace